www.zomidc.org                                                  Motto "Zomi sungah Innkuan Khat i hi hi ".                               Estd : 2001


  Friday August 21, 2009 09:30 PM -0400


Zomi D.C Contacts

10, Beane Hill Ct.
Gaithersburg, MD - 20877
Tel: 1-301-947-0289

Emails & Phone No.:
Cheif Editor & website creator(webmaster):
Thomas On Sian Mung
Tel: 1-443-904-7063

Tg. Dong Khan Khup
Tel: 1-443-629-3329

dkhup@aol.com                      Vice Chairman:
Pu Ngo Cin Thawng Suantak
Tel: 1-301-661-6518

Pa Khup Sian Lian
Tel: 1-


Autobiography of

Pu Cin Sian Thang

B.A, B.A (Law), L.L.B

Chairman, Zomi National Congress


                                                                         Photo: Pu Cin Sian Thang


 Pu Cin Sian Thang leh Mualtungmi Makaipi te kimuhkhopna, CRPP phuhna, Feb. 12, 1998.

Pu Cin Sian Thang leh U.S Ambassador, Tg. Vung Za Pau te tawh

Chin Sian Thang is chairman of the Zomi National Congress,a political party in Burma. Elected as a member of Parliament during Burma’s ill-fated 1990 elections, he has worked diligently for many years in defiance of the country’s ruling junta. During the 1960s, Chin Sian Thang served as a leader of the Chin Ethnic Student Union while a student at Rangoon University. He is a pro-democracy activist and a strong opponent of Burma Socialist Program Party and Ne Win dictatorship. He has been imprisoned on at least six occasions by successive military regimes for his political activities between 1972 and 1999. In each instance, he served two years, during which he was subjected to brutal interrogations that led to permanent health problems.

He also serves as a member of the Committee Representing People’s Parliament, a group supported by 251 candidates elected in 1990. Considered a moderate ethnic leader, Chin Sian Thang heavily promotes the CRPP as a rallying point for Burmese activists and ethnic leaders.He is the most outspoken elected ethnic leader in Burma. He is a graduate of Rangoon University in Law degrees (B.A., B.A.(Law)., L.L.B). He is the coauthor of "In Burma, a Cry for U.N. Help" (Washington Post - Thursday, October 26, 2006; Page A25).

Source : Wikipedia


The History of the Detention of

Pu Chin Sian Thang

due to his struggle forDemocracy and Human Rights


Compiled under the permission of Pu Chin Sian Thang, by

Zomi National Congress (New Generation)

April 2003.


Pu Chin Sian Thang, a graduate from Rangoon University in Law degrees (B.A., B.A.(Law)., L.L.B), started his political movement since he was in his student life. He attended the historic Taung-gyi Conference (so called second Panglong Conference) as a leader of student union. He is a pro-democracy activist and a strong opponent of Burma Socialist Program Party and Ne Win dictatorship. The detention by brutal dictator began in his life as early as one party system was introduced in Burma.

1.       October 30, 1972 to March 3, 1974 : Ye-Kyi-Aing Military Intelligence Detention Camp, Yangon.

March 4, 1974 to August 24, 1994 : transferred to Mandalay Jail, Mandalay.

      When the draft of Ne Win constitution was revealed to the public to solicit their opinion, Pu Chin Sian Thang submitted his Federal Suggestions that resulted him of his first detention.

2.       March 12, 1992 to March 19, 192 : Kalemyo & Yangon.

Being an elected member of parliament, a prominent ethnic leader and the president of Zomi National Congress, Pu Chin Sian Thang had been under tight surveillance by military intelligence since the general election. While he was living in fear at his home in Kalemyo, the time was up for him to become a victim of the brutality of military intelligence at 4:00am early in the morning on March 12, 1994. He was brought down to Yangon and interrogated inhumanely. He was then released from detention without any charge at Yangon on March 19, 1992.

3.       May 10, 1993 to June 1, 1993 : Kalemyo.

When the military government was trying to abolish the political parties, Pu Chin Sian Thang was put under house arrest. He was forced to report his presence and remain silence from political movement to the officer concerned of Military Intelligence 17th battalion in Kalemyo, once at 8:00am and once at 5:00pm every day. And he was not only barred from practicing his law career but also doing business for the living. The economic and financial hardship in his daily life had begun since then.

4.       October 10, 1996 to October 24, 1996 : Kalemyo.

Due to his continuous struggle for Democracy and Human Rights, again he was detained by Military Intelligence 17th battalion on October 10, 1996 in Kalemyo where he underwent many kinds of ill-treatment. His health became deteriorated due to the torture.

5.       September 6, 1998 to March 14, 1999 : Yangon.

After the formation of the Committee Representing the People’s Parliament (CRPP) by the leaders of NLD, SNLD, MNDF, ADL and Zomi National Congress party, Pu Chin Sian Thang was detained on September 6, 1998 at the army 220th battalion, Yemon. He was then transferred to the 9˝-mile Military Intelligence quarter where he was isolated from the public and outside world. He was not allowed to listen radio, nor read news paper. His family had no single chance to meet him and even to know his where about. Due to the immoral treatment and living condition, he got kidney trouble and further health deterioration. He had to be then released to undergo medical treatment at Sakura Clinic in Yangon.

6.       November 3, 1999 to June 15, 2001 : Yangon.

A meeting took place on October 16, 1999 at UNDP office, between the ethnic leaders including Pu Chin Sian Thang and Mr. Alvaro De Soto, the Assistant Secretary-General of the UN was the reason why Pu Chin Sian Thang was interrogated and detained again on November 3, 1999. He was detained again in the 9˝-mile Military Intelligence quarter (so called guest house by the military government) where he was isolated to prevent him from continuing the movement for Democracy and Human Rights. Though the military government claimed that he was kept for discussion, no one had approached him and asked his political opinion. As usual he was not allowed to listen radio, nor read news paper. He was not treated as a political leader, and he was rather treated as a prisoner. The pressure from UN Secretary-General’s special envoy to the military government helped him to meet his family once a month, and finally he had to be released on June 15, 2001.



Use Advanced Search

















Homeprepaid phone cards |prepaid phone cardsNews Achieves |About Us |Contact Us  |Links|Membership |Guestbook  |Interviews

Copy Right  ® 2005-2007 All rights reserved
Published by Zomi Innkuan Washington D.C, USA